Friday, February 29, 2008

A Few Announcements...

Ok, so I hate staff devotions.

Every week at Moody everyone in our department files in, sits down and listens to a fellow employee share a thought from scripture, encouragement or testimony. The idea is great and I have the privilege of hearing from others in our department who are very talented "speakers." But, when the rotation finally rolls around to me I dread it.

"I'm not the Bible scholar!" I say to myself. Not to mention, I have less formal training, knowledge, and typically the youngest person in the room. So, every time I ponder for weeks in advance hoping that people don't walk out from the hour saying, "And she works at Moody because....”

Well, on one particular occasion I felt led to share from a previous Kay Arthur devotional I did with a friend a few years ago. While it was certain that I felt God's leading, to be quite honest it was kind of a depressing topic. I thought, "Great, people will not only question my ability, but sanity.” However, trying to work on my submission (never-ending journey) I sat down and shared.

This particular staff devotion was months ago, but today I was reminded of how important submission to God's guidance is to the big picture of faith.

I had stopped by Danica's office to pick up a Land's End catalog for a few shirts we are ordering and we started chatting about Student Wives and the books we were reading. The conversation evolved into thoughts on Bible Studies and recommendations. Then, Danica began thanking me for sharing about this Kay Arthur study so many months ago. It turns out she gave it to her mom as a birthday present and now the two of them are doing it together. It has also been a real encouragement to Danica's mother in her spiritual growth.

Wow. The results have nothing to do with me or my ability, but with my submission. One small act, regardless of how well I presented my "speech" that day in staff devotions, presented a small fact, the title of a book, which inspired and encouraged someone else's walk with Christ!

So, what's the point? Why is Lindsey sharing this? Because there is an opportunity for you to take part in the "big picture.”

The rest of our meetings are scheduled to have testimonies from other wives scattered throughout the semester. However, we need volunteers. Remember, it's not about your ability, your speech, or your "talent." It's all about submission and God allowing us the privilege to join in the "big picture."

Please email Danica at danica.allen@moody.edu if you are interested. Thanks for letting me share.

--Lindsey

Other Announcements:

Potluck Dinner - April 17

An evening of etiquette with Emily Ferguson, followed by Dietician, Chris Jensen who will speak on women's diets, nutrition during pregnancy and lactation - April 10

Also, we're adding to our SWF Families quickly, so look out for baby meal sign ups.